Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Sentimentality

I don't usually consider myself sentimental, yet, there are a few times in my life when sentimentality has reared it's head, and it isn't so bad. I pride myself in the fact that I look to the future, make plans, am quite prepared for what is to come, and am optimistic, too. I love to look at a challenge and seek out a creative way to accomplish it. However, looking back can be theraputic if not healthy. This week is one of those weeks. My daughter is getting married next week. Wow, how can that be? It seems she just learned to ride her bike yesterday. I have planned the wedding (staying within the budget I might add), cleaned the house for guests, attended showers with precious gifts in hand, visited with her new mother-in-law, and even had some time for working and making a dollar here and there. Today seems be the day I put away the rote behavior of taking care of wedding business and emotionally prepare to give my daughter to her new husband. Tears well up in my eyes as I type those words. What is it that causes tears at weddings? It is time for her to marry. She wants it and, I think, may actually need it. I want it for her (although her dad could not say that yet). Her home is being prepared and will be a wonderful first home. Financially, they are ready. Why tears?

I have tears because it is a rite of passage. Tears because the memories are bittersweet. We have 21 years of history. Most of the memories are precious to me and I linger in their presence. I remember holding her for the very first time like it was yesterday, 5 lbs 0 ounces. Brushing her curly hair and giving her pig tails. Taking her to kindergarten. Picking her up from the end of year 6th grade party and she cried so hard she could hardly breathe because she knew life would never be the same after elementary school. Then there are the bitter memories that I hold dear because we both grew to maturity in them, but they are painful to recall. Those I will not share with you, they are too personal. But, they were neccessary for our growth. I made a lot of mistakes, so did she. However, the fabulous thing about knowing God as your Saviour is that He can redeem those times and make something grand from them.

No comments: