Monday, April 02, 2007

I'm In

Count me in. I've joined. I'm in for the long haul. You can count on me. "Count on you for what?", you may ask. To serve the body of believers and the community at the church we joined this weekend.

I must admit that this was a difficult decision for our family, Husband, 18, 16, and me. We have a lot of history at our old church. And, even though there was no doubt that it was right to leave it, we long for the old days. But, today, we will put all that behind us and press on here. We will jump in with both feet and completely immerse ourselves in the "new" ministry. Actually, the ministry is not new at all even though it may take on new forms. The basic ministry we know that is important is sharing, with the world, what has changed our lives, fulfilled us, given us hope and a future (for eternity). The reality is that these people at our new church are basically strangers and here I am committing myself to a life work with them. Does that make sense?

Some questions that address that very issue were posed to me a few days ago and I have pondered them and included them here because I think that you, too, should consider your answers. Here are those questions and my reply.

Questions: Can I love God passionately and his people at arms length? Do I have to open up to these strangers to really love them? Does honesty equal transparency? Is transparency really a virtue or a weakness?

Reply: The answers are not easy to say aloud because I think true ministry is a result of honestly sharing ourselves with others to the point that they can see what we are passionate about. If others cannot see who we really are, we cannot share our passion, nor maybe even acknowledge our passion to ourselves.

I began to inquire of myself this past week if I really needed to live a life more than that of obscurity or mediocrity. Why not? Why not just be faithful to my husband, children, grandchildren, etc? Could that be so wrong? And then I heard “AWAKE TO RIGHTEOUSNESS!” This life I live is not about me and my comfort zone, it is about me living a life of thrilling abundance (life on the edge) so that “others may know that He is the LORD God and there is no other!” (1Kings 8:59-60)

I was reminded that I owe that to Him, He is my Redeemer. To God be the glory! I should give Him my all.

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

Michelle,

I am so glad you are a new part of our family! I know we seem like strangers to you, but you don't seem like a stranger to me. I know we don't know each other very well, but I think we have a heart connection...a common passion. I am looking forward to see what God will do in our midst!

Jeanette

Michelle Canton said...

Jeanette,

I agree, even though we do not know each other well yet, our hearts have bonded. We will have fabulous times together in the future. I look forward to learning from you, laughing with you, reaching others with you. Thank you for your faithfulness to the Lord and His ministry at church. You are one of the reasons moving on is easier.

MIchelle