Thursday, April 12, 2007

Parenting

Let me just face the facts, some weeks I come to the stark reality that my attempts at parenting are feeble. Some days the "world" seems too large of an adversary for me to have more of an influence on my children than society does. Especially as they become adults, where does my line of authority end? How, because I love them and want what is best for them, do I continue to mentor them? How much do I say? How little should I share with them in tense situations? My biggest question today is "When will these relationships cease to cause me frustration and pain?" We all know the answer to that question is never, I just needed to express to the world my sad little sentiment.

The times I feel the most disappointed in how they act is when I see how harsh and judgemental they are of others. I notice when they are bereft of patience and kindness with their siblings and when they look for perfection in people who couldn't possibly give them a faultless performance. What I have observed is that I am disappointed when, uhohhhh, they act like me. I am the "society" that has held sway over them the most. OH, NO!! When I began this note today this was not what I believed the conclusion would be. I was prepared to tell you that all my efforts have been countered by a debased society, but I have negotiated this subject and discovered that I have been weighed and have been found wanting.

Lord, let me give all of me to you. Please, allow my children to escape the consequences of my feeble attempts at parenting. You, Lord, parent them. Forgive me.

No comments: