Friday, April 27, 2007

Extraordinary Friends

I guess I really haven't realized how fortunate I am. Sometimes, ok most of the time, I take so many things for granted. Today I recognize the unusual blessing of good girlfriends. The type of friends you can drop in on. The kind of friends who genuinely desire to just sit with you and visit about the mundane episodes of life. The sort that put everything else on their calendar aside to be with me. I don't just have one friend like that, nor do I have two. If I were to actually put a number to it I think that my number of really good friends is more than I could count on two hands!! Granted, I don't see all of them regularly, but at any given moment, I could depend on any of them to drop everything to meet me at any given time.

Yesterday I supped with some of my best friends. Seven of us meet regularly to celebrate birthdays and yesterday was such an occasion. The times we spend together are extraordinary. We simply share our ordinary lives.

Isn't that interesting? Amazing relationships are grown out of normal people expressing to others their unembellished selves. I think most of us believe extraordinary relationships are born from spectacular events with others. When in reality all we want is for someone to know who we actually are, with no pretense, and still want to spend time with us.

We don't ask a lot of each other in terms of time. I don't want my friends to put me above the needs of their husband and children. I just want to know that if I really needed them they would drop everything and run to me. And I do know that. I also know that occasionally, just for the fun of it, they will set aside all their other responsibilities and simply spend some time cultivating an extraordinary relationship by doing ordinary things with me.

Thank you, friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.