Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Stranded

The phone was ringing. I answered. "MOM, Why didn't you tell me I couldn't drive Dad's car!!!?!" "Who is this and why are you yelling at me?" is all I could think. After a few moments of loud interrogation I finally determined who she was (17), where she was, and proceeded to rescue her and her two friends. The three of them had decided to go shopping in a town that was thirty miles away, in traffic, without a map and had wandered lost for a while. Husband's car had been having a little trouble with overheating lately and we had parked it until he could return from a business trip and take it to the mechanic. The car was in bad shape. Now what do I do? Why do I always have to deal with these things myself when husband is out of town? I hate this part of mothering and wifing!!

17, who incidentally will turn 18 in five days, was stranded, and it was all my fault. NOT!! 17 has a habit of blaming others for her poor decisions or problems. Nothing, I repeat, nothing is ever her fault. If she is unhappy, frustrated, experiencing anything unpleasant, it must be someone else's fault! Now, we all know that at some point each of us must take responsiblity for ourselves. You know, not be a victim, simply decide to do something that will address the reasons for our negative feelings and circumstances. My only question is how can I get 17 to do that, too? I have made every effort to reveal this unconstructive trait to her. Realistically, this process started five years ago in junior high when she began to have a little freedom going places with the youth group.

She called back to see how close I was.
"I am at least 20 minutes away" I answered. "17," I said.
"Yes, Mom?"
" I need to say something to you, and I don't think you are going to like it."
"What?"
"You know what we talked about the other day? That difficulty you have?"
"You mean the one where I blame you for all my problems?"
"Yes, that one," I said with a little hope, "Do you think you did that here?"
"Did I do that?" 17 asked with hesitation.
"Well, did I know that you were going to drive dad's car?" I asked hoping she would see where this was going.
"No, I just jumped in it and left."
"Did I know how far away you were going to shop?"
"No," She answered, "And mom?"
"Yes?"
"I knew it was having a problem overheating, I'm sorry, this is all my fault. We're stuck and the car is in terrible shape and it is my fault. " She freely admitted.

Woo Hoo (is that how you spell that?) I still had to point it out, but, the process this time was a little less painful and quicker than usual. I actually have hope that next time I may not even be accused of sabotaging her plans (well I wouldn't really go that far, but I am an optimist).

Isn't this what God wants of us? Admit we are the problem, He will rescue us. Please Lord, let me be quicker to admit my faults and responsibility in causing most of my own predicaments. In short, Lord, save me from myself.

No comments: