Thursday, March 22, 2007

Dead as a Doornail

Where did that expression come from? Maybe because you are supposed to hit the doornail again and again on the head and it's no worse off than when you began the beating? Oh well, I digress. What is dead is not our doornail (what is a doornail, anyway?), it is Husband's car. Yep! That's right, 18 killed the car. "Now what?" you may ask. Are we angry with 18? Will we make her pay? Will we hold it over her head until we feel better? No, none of the above.

She asked the same question when she discovered the car was deceased.

"Are you mad at me?"
"No", I answered slowly, trying to figure out exactly how I felt at the moment.
"What are you going to do?" 18 asked me, because, of course, Husband is out of town.
"Well, honey, I guess we are all just going to..." searching for words...
"We are all just going to pay for the consequences of my mistake!!!" 18 interjected.

No truer words have been spoken by such a young soul. The reality of poor choices is that they are not made in a vacuum. Our decisions, good or bad, effect everyone around us. The decision to take Husband's car last week will be an expensive one. We must replace it, it is a necessity. Every month will be financially leaner for Husband and I because we will have a car payment we did not expect. We will still have college bills, groceries to buy, mortgage etc. In essence less money for the fun stuff.

You may think this was an awful event in the life of our family. I am not so sure I agree. If my 18 year old can see the truth about sin and the dire consequences of it, and use that knowledge in the future to avoid a worse mistake, then I welcome the cost. After all, my sin has been paid for, and not by me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

By doing so at a certain temperature the water will change from a liquid to a gas, this is water's latent heat. [url=http://www.mulberryhandbagssale.co.uk]Mulberry Mitzy Bags[/url] The screens aren "pretty," but the system has the functionality needed and for a much smaller price tag: The code is free.. [url=http://www.goosecoatsale.ca]canada goose down coat[/url] Ouuqwytiq
http://www.pandorajewelryvip.co.uk Emlywibiq [url=http://www.officialcanadagooseparkae.com]canada goose jackets[/url] uhlokmrjc