Thursday, March 24, 2005

Honor and Respect

Here's my biggest dilemma today. Should I take 16 (what I'll call my 16 year old child) to the mall or not. Yesterday wasn't 16's best day. It wasn't the worst, but it had more conflict that I prefer. Conflict over poor behavior I can handle, but this conflict was basically over the fact that 16 doesn't like to talk to me and doesn't want me to talk to 16. That hurt. ..OK. I can do that. Not talk. Here's the deal, though. If 16 doesn't want a casual, communicative relationship with me, doesn't that inhibit the "taking to the mall " relationship, also? I think so. After all, what I want is a relationship that is good all the time. I simply should not be used when needed. This is a time for learning how to develop and have a desirable relationship between us.

My goal today: Not be yanked around by 16's mood swings and manipulations AND not to yank her around with my emotional manipulations. I want to learn from this and to teach 16 from this that everyone is due honor and respect. How we treat others reflects more about us than those we are mistreating.

No comments: