Sunday, May 17, 2009

Commence

Today is a big deal for me. I will actually fulfill one of my most desired achievements, graduation from the University. Today I will walk across a stage and accept a diploma (I know it's really empty, but it will be coming soon) that signifies that I have earned the honor of saying I have a Bachelor's Degree from a University.

The timing is perfect. Our youngest child is graduating from high school and will embark on a new phase of her life. This allows me to walk into a new phase of my existence. I am completeing this challenge only to begin a career. No doubt the possibilities that will present themselves to me in the next few weeks will be exciting and take much effort. I am ready. The ceremony is not lost on me. The symbolism of walking to the other side of the stage, accepting the weighty diploma and exiting the platform with a new sense of responsibility and duty is exciting. Now, rather than a single vision of parenting and all other things taking second place, the roles are switched. Those relationships with my children are still paramount, just different. Just how transformed is yet to be seen. I anticipate only excellent rapport with my new adult progeny.

How can one day make such a difference in my life? Because it isn't about today, it's about the 130 hours I earned through the years that allow me to take part in today's commencement.

Ok. I'll quit musing. Let's just get on with it!

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

Hey, girl! Your mom told me you were graduating on Sunday! Wow, that seemed fast. CONGRATULATIONS! I so remember how I felt just one short year ago when I finished my master's degree and walking across that stage was HUGE to me. It is an accomplishment that you should be very proud of. Way to go! I can't wait to see what's next for you.