Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Keys to Reconciliation

We are studying 2 Corinthians on Wednesdays. Today, Paul addressed forgiveness in his quest for reconciliation between he and the Corinthians. Someone had bad mouthed Paul to his good friends in Corinth and he wanted to make it right. As I considered the importance of the issue of working through conflict with others, I listed 5 steps to enable us to do a better job at reconciling with those who have offended us. See if you agree with me.

1. Understand that the sin is against God and not me.

This is evident in Psalm 51 where David states that his sin (adultery with Bathsheba and the murder of her husband) is "against You and You only have I sinned, Oh God!"

2. Be concerned with my offender's reconciliation with God rather than with justice for myself.

When the other's relationship with the Lord is unbroken then my relationship with them will benefit.

3. Forgive like God.

Ephesians 4:32 - 5:2 states that we are to forgive like God forgave us, we are to be imitators of God. That means we must be ready, willing, and able to forgive BEFORE asked. We will deal with forgiving our offenders as soon as the offence occurs so as not to allow bitterness to set in.

4. Remember that bitterness and grudge holding will affect your future by anchoring you to your past. Also, your children and your children's children will learn this trait from you.

5. If it is only a difference of opinion, agree to disagree and GET OVER IT! MOVE ON! GET A LIFE!

No comments: