Monday, July 09, 2007

Making the Bed

The other day husband and I were making our new bed together. I kept having to point out wrinkles that he had on his side that he was willing to just cover over with the comforter.

"You've got a wrinkle." I declared.
"Where?" husband asked.
"Right there!" I stated incredulously.
"It's small, no one will even see it under this huge comforter." husband acknowledged.

"Look, if we don't straighten every wrinkle every day, eventually the bed will be a mess, even if it is under the comforter. I will not be able to sleep in an untidy bed. "

It's true. I detest getting into an unmade bed. So, even if I have missed making my bed for the day (usually on Sundays), I will usually neaten up the covers so I can climb in. Sometimes husband will even go in to the bedroom before me at night and make the bed for me. I believe there is a deep theological truth to be found, here, in my eccentricities.

If we let even the smallest of sin go unconfessed and continue to cover it up, basically ingnoring our failures to God, it will eventually mess up our whole life. We will become undone. Thankfully, all we need to do is strip the bed(confess our sin with a repentent heart), wash the sheets, and remake the bed (start anew with an unbroken relationship with the Lord). Now... I can rest!

1 comment:

Barry K. Creamer said...

Or, you're just the other slightly (perhaps even positively) OCD product of our queen-of-clean mother!