Friday, July 27, 2007

What is in a Name?

I have a theory. See if you agree. I think I have come to the conclusion that the only thing we actually possess is our name. Our reputation. What do you think?

I looked up the definition, and according to Merriam Webster to possess something means

1 a: to have and hold as property : own b: to have as an attribute, knowledge, or skill2 a: to take into one's possession b: 1 b: to enter into and control firmly : dominate c: to bring or cause to fall under the influence.

Most of us believe that we possess our car, house or clothing. When, in fact, we own them. We have the legal right to use them to our liking. However, if we look at the above definition, to possess means to control firmly. I can tell you right now that even though I have the legal right to drive my car, I absolutely do not control everything about it. My auto continues to experience the adverse effects of the weather, bad roads and other people's car doors and bumpers. My home is difficult to maintain. I hold it as property, it is my homestead, no one can take it from me; but, I control nothing about it. It costs a fortune to manage. I cannot, no matter how hard I try, retain it's pristine state as a new home.

Now, that brings me to my name. I have complete control of my reputation. I propose that my reputation is the only thing that I can fully bring under my influence. My character walks boldy before me as I enter into relationships and lingers long after I am gone. My name will remind others I interacted with long ago of my overall qualities whether they are fair and wise or lacking in goodness and kindness. If I have been foolish this attribute will haunt me long after I have learned that lesson. A reputation of deceit and dishonesty stay and stay and stay.

No wonder the wisest man who ever lived said this:

"A good name is better than fine perfume..." Eccl 7:1

Boy, was he right!

No comments: