Sunday, August 09, 2009

A Challenge

I have found that parenting adult children who live in my house is one of the most challenging things I do. That time between graduating high school and when they get married and become adults who make real life decisions and care about others they have chosen to be in their household and family.

Let's face it, I want my kids to make good decisions because it's the right thing to do. Because they will benefit. Because everyone around them will profit. And, because it reflects their ongoing relationship with the LORD.

In the years of my children's teenagerhood my goal has been to give them advice and godly opinions about life, allow my kids to have the opportunity to make age appropriate decisions, and let them experience the natural consequences of their choices. In doing this, by the time they are on their own, they will have practice at assessing situations and making good decisions. It is difficult, especially for one like me that tends to be controlling. (I have a good reason for being controlling, I am always right.:)

For the most part, I am so proud of my "adult- but- not- on- their- own" kids. But, and let me be honest, parenting them is a challenge. I give advice, I see the choices, I see the mistakes, I envision the result. UGH, not my favorite part of life.

LORD, protect us, give us wisdom, have mercy on us, lead us.

No comments: