Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Words and Freedom

This past weekend we celebrated our liberty. As I contemplate this notion of liberty I find that it is quite an enigma. What I encountered this weekend, within myself, caused me to be perplexed as I considered the freedoms I enjoy.

I am free to work at any occupation at which I choose to be trained. I am free to serve any god, the Living God, or man made. I am free speak my mind and expound upon any subject I should choose, even if it is injurious in nature. That is where I cannot continue in my thoughts. You see, I found myself imprisoned by my own words this weekend. I freely used my words to express annoyance. Then, as I felt so free to announce my frustration in one area, I took the liberty to continue to articulate further my impatience with others as they failed to meet my expectations. My free use of words resulted in a sense of misery as I continued to talk too much about subjects that were none of my business.

Why, oh why, can I not exclusively use my words to encourage. Even if correction is necessary, the words used in that pursuit can be and should be encouraging and instill hope for a future, rather than discouraging words that inject disdain and discord.

Today I will measure my words, consider the cost, then I will endeavor to speak freely about hope to a world that desperately needs it.

No comments: