Thursday, November 01, 2007

Why Do We Go To Church Sunday and Wednesday Nights? (and why do we feel guilty when we don't)

I must answer this simply from my personal desires and needs. When my family was looking for a church about a year ago one of our first desires was that our new church would have Sunday p.m. and Wed p.m. services. It was more difficult to find churches that had these services than those that had ceased their worship at these times. We desire these times with other believers because of our need to be taught, encouraged, and lifted up more than just once a week.

If my desire is to be less like this world and more like Christ, I must spend extra time with like minded Christians who remind me that this world is not my home and that I shouldn’t fit in with it. My human nature tells me constantly that I can have both, this world and Christ. But that is a lie. So, when I go to see my Christian family I hear and see Truth more clearly.

I love Sunday and Wednesday nights. That is when most of the people who are there are serious about their walk and those are the people I need. I hunger for learning from them and experiencing Christ with them. Worshipping with them moves me. Sunday mornings are great, too, but Sunday p.m. worship is more intimate and personal for me.

When I miss, I don’t feel guilty, and neither should you. I think when we feel guilty, it is because of what we believe others might think of us. I am not keeping score, are you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister! I believe that with all my heart which is why when my husband and I were looking for a new church, we had the same requirements. Although we understand that it is not mandated in the Bible when to go to church, we feel strongly about fellowship with other believers is important more than once a week and I like the way you put it. You sure have a way with words! Thanks for the encouraging post! This place is not our home. God is the LORD our God, and there is no other! All praise be unto Him!